The College received a full inspection in September 2018 by Ofsted Inspectors who said “The College ethos is one of raising aspirations successfully in a caring, supportive and challenging environment”.
The Ofsted report highlighted the following key strengths:
- Leaders and managers have created a culture of respect and tolerance in which they successfully raise learners’ aspirations in a supportive and challenging environment
- Learners and apprentices demonstrate good behaviour, they are highly motivated and have positive attitudes to their learning
- Strong partnerships with employers and key stakeholders lead to an effective curriculum that meets the specific needs of the region
- Learners and apprentices demonstrate good behaviour; they are highly motivated and have positive attitudes to their learning
- A high proportion of learners on level 3 vocational study programmes achieve their qualifications with high grades
Further key highlights from the report include:
- Leaders and managers have created a welcoming and harmonious college environment in which learners from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds work together effectively
- Teachers use their skills and expertise confidently. They challenge learners in vocational subjects to develop industry-standard skills quickly
- The courses at the college align closely to the future opportunities available to learners and apprentices
- Careers education, advice and guidance for learners on study programmes are good. Specialist and well-qualified staff give expert advice that opens doors to employment and further study for learners
- Learners benefit from a wide range of stimulating resources and from well-equipped learning environments
- Learners value the support they receive in college
- Work experience and work-related learning align carefully with learners’ study and ambitions
- Learners benefit from a wide range of enrichment activities in the college. These include sports, well-being activities, debates and volunteering
- Learners compete successfully in regional and national skills competitions
- Many learners are well represented by their dynamic students’ union
- Most learners and apprentices develop skills and knowledge that support them in their education, career and life goals. They link the work that they complete on their course to their career plans diligently
View the full report
Middlesbrough College has a clear an unwavering commitment to ensuring the highest of student outcomes. 206/17 data shows high outcomes for all our learners and can be accessed via the Department for Education website
Following a recent national teaching review, Middlesbrough College has been awarded gold status in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
Providing teaching of the highest quality in the UK, the College achieved the top grade in the Government's first TEF awards, which examined how universities and colleges are performing above demanding national standards.
Middlesbrough College is the only GFE College in the Tees Valley to secure gold status in the Teaching Excellence Standard Framework awards. This places us in the top 20% of higher education providers in the country – in good company with many outstanding colleges.
Find out more