Moving on from your school and starting at College can be really daunting, but don’t worry! Here at Middlesbrough College we’ve prepared our top tips to help you get off to a great start. There’s a lot you can be preparing for right now to make sure you have an amazing time!
Before you start College:
1. Make sure you’ve chosen the right course. At Middlesbrough College we offer courses in nearly every sector area so no matter what your career ambitions are, we have a course that’s perfect for you. Make sure that you are choosing a course you are interested in and you’ll do well in- don’t just pick a course because all your friends are doing it. If you think you’ve picked the wrong course- don’t panic! We’re still taking applications online and you don’t need to choose which course you want to study until you enrol with us in the summer.
2. Work out how you’re going to get to College. Whether it’s by bus, train, car, bike or foot- know which route you’re going to take and where your closest bus stop or train station is. At Middlesbrough College we offer an amazing travel package to our students so that you can travel into College for FREE 7 days a week! Take a look here to find out more.
3. Plan ahead. Find out about all the fantastic sports academies, clubs, societies and enrichment opportunities at Middlesbrough College so you know which one to join in September. You can find all of the information in our prospectus or here.
4. Do your research. Take a careers quiz online, look into different University courses and take the time to research jobs. This way you can be a step ahead of everyone and help to focus your CV and applications for future Universities or employers.
5. Stay on top of your studies at home. Make sure you’re taking part in your online lessons from school as this will help to get you ready for the jump to studying at College level.
6. Follow us on social media! Stay up to date with everything that is going on and look out for important updates.
7. Be prepared. Make sure you have all the equipment, stationary and uniform you need before starting your course. Your tutors will give you all the information you need to get this at your enrolment session.
Once you’re at College:
8. Don’t waste your free periods! Get up to date with your homework or prepare for you next class. If you do this then your evenings and weekends will be yours to enjoy.
9. Make new friends. Don’t just stick with the same group from school- get to know your new classmates, you never know you could make new friends for life!
10. Join a club or a society. Make sure you get involved in different activities, you can develop your current talents and hobbies or try something brand new.
11. Take every opportunity you get. If you’re offered work experience- do it! If your course has a field trip- go on it! Make the most of every opportunity at College.
12. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. At Middlesbrough College we have a fantastic student support team who can help you with any worries or concerns you have. Whether you want careers advice, financial support or just somebody to talk to, we are always here.
13. Attend! It sounds silly but make sure you attend every class. You won’t get the full College experience if you don’t show up.
14. Take risks. Do something outside of your comfort zone and learn something new.